5 Energy Tips to Keep Your Home Warm During Winter!
Winter is a tough time for a lot of people. We don’t live in Florida, so keeping our homes well heated can be a challenge. The worst feeling in the world is waking up to cold floors on your feet, or walking into a cold house when you were hoping for a warm one. R. H. Foster understands these feelings, and we wanted to start this winter with a few winter energy saving tips on how to keep yourself and your family warm!
Tip #1- Have a Blower Door Test Completed at Your Home
- A blower door test is important to conduct in your home at least once every ten years. This test will show where in your home you have drafts coming in. No matter how well you heat your home, if you have a lot of air escaping it can be like a window is open. We use infrared cameras to see where this air is leaking in, and then we tell you the best ways to fix them!
Tip #2- Use a Programmable Thermostat
- When you are asleep or out of the house, you should turn the thermostat down 10°F, which can save you 10% on your home heating bill. A programmable thermostat makes this easy. Program your schedule in once, and this thermostat will do all the work for you.
Tip #3- Give Your Heating System a Tune Up
- Like us, your heating system works best when it’s healthy and clean. Your heater needs to be taken care of on a monthly basis! If you haven’t been changing filters, or doing tune ups, it’s time to start doing them. You can call your local energy provider to schedule service for your heating system. While they are there, ask them to show you what you can be doing on your own to keep your heating system running in peak condition!
Tip #4- Turn Down Your Water Heater
- Your water heater can be turned down to the warm setting, meaning the peak heat in your water tank is lower. The warm setting is usually around 120°F, which is more than warm enough for a hot shower! Save on energy, and save your hands from getting scalded!
Tip #5- Upgrade to a More Efficient Heating System
- A heating system that was made in the last five years is going to heat better than a heating system from fifteen years ago. That old furnace has done a great job throughout the years, but it’s time to let it go. Modern heating systems will save you money, are more efficient, and use less energy! Upgrading is a great idea.
At R. H. Foster we strive to not only give our costumers the best service around but also to help their costumers save money. If you’d like to learn more about our company, please contact us!